Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Nakamura Sensei Demo in Tokyo

I actually have a link to this video on my first post, but I thought it's worth posting again. I believe this may be the best known video of his amazing karate demo, and also the longest. It took place in Tokyo in 1989.


You will notice how smooth his motion is. He even does Tai-Chi like prep move, with smooth flowing hand motion. His footwork also shows cat-like finesse. According to one of the commentators, the terminal velocity of his technique is terrifyingly fast, which is different from that of beginners and even intermediate level practitioners. "Since human hands and feet are not projectiles, initial velocity does not determine the terminal velocity at the moment of the impact. His technique looks quite relaxed in the beginning and accelerates before impact." I'm not sure about the whole science behind it, but I do remember reading somewhere that minimum deceleration upon impact is what truly separates karate technique from boxing punch.

Aside from technical mumbo-jumbo, Nakamura Sensei's karate is an example of true mastery beyond mere athleticism.



No comments:

Post a Comment